- Associate Professor, Psychiatry & Behavioural Neurosciences
- Associate Member, Departments of Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics, and Pediatrics
Dr. Jennifer Couturier is a child and adolescent psychiatrist, and is the medical co-director of the Pediatric Eating Disorders Program at McMaster Children's Hospital. Dr. Couturier has completed a qualitative study with clinicians across Ontario on understanding the uptake of evidence-based treatment in the field of pediatric eating disorders; this project was funded by the Hamilton Academic Health Sciences Organization Alternate Funding Plan Innovation Fund. Dr. Couturier has also received funding from CIHR to develop and study an implementation program to train clinicians across Ontario in Family-Based Treatment for children and adolescents with eating disorders. This therapy has better outcomes compared to individual treatment, as shown in Dr. Couturier’s recently published meta-analysis on this topic. She is applying for further funding to develop Canadian practice guidelines on eating disorders in children and adolescents, which was a recommendation arising out of her qualitative work.
- Implementation project on Family-Based Treatment for eating disorders
- Pilot study – Omega 3 Fatty Acids as adjunctive treatment for adolescents with eating disorders
- Couturier, J., Kimber, M., Jack, S., Niccols, S., Van Blyderveen, S., McVey, G. (2013). Using a knowledge transfer framework to identify factors facilitating implementation of family-based treatment. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 11/2013.
- Couturier, J., Kimber, M., Jack, S., Niccols, S., Van Blyderveen, S., McVey, G. (2013). Understanding the uptake of family-based treatment for adolescents with anorexia nervosa: Therapist perspectives. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 46(2), 177-188.
- Couturier, J., Kimber, M., Szatmari, P. (2012). Efficacy of family-based treatment for adolescents with eating disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 46(1), 3-11.
For further publications click here.
- Pediatric eating disorders
- Family therapy approaches
- Implementation science
Education, Memberships & Certifications
- M.D. – University of Western Ontario
- M.Sc. – University of Western Ontario
- FRCPC – Psychiatrist
- Fellow of the Academy of Eating Disorders