- Assistant Professor, Psychiatry & Behavioural Neurosciences
- Associate Member, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Dr Boylan is a clinician researcher whose aim is to identify developmental and clinical processes which contribute to persistent depression in adolescents. She is keenly concerned about the validity of the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder in youth, identifying its childhood predictors and how to improve the way clinicians provide care to teens who are experiencing a psychiatric crisis. She also studies the epidemiology of oppositional behaviour and irritability in children and adolescents.
She leads or participates in several studies with clinical and community participants. These studies are aiming to predict which adolescents may respond best to antidepressant medications, as well as benefit from evidence based psychotherapies, specifically dialectical behaviour therapy.
- Teenage girls emotion regulation study (TiGER): Measurement of emotional dysregulation and self harm difficulties in a clinical sample of depressed adolescent girls.
- Identifying Affective Dysregulation in youth at risk for severe mental illness. An NIMH funded epidemiologic study to develop measures of emotional dysregulation within disruptive behaviour disorders.
- Peer victimization, mental health and academic achievement: A multi-informant longitudinal study.
- Maternal-Infant Research on Environmental Chemicals: Early Childhood Biomonitoring and Neurodevelopment Study (MIREC-CD Plus). Health Canada.
- 2014 Ontario Child Health Study
- Boylan K. The many faces of oppositional defiant disorder. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry; 2014, 23:8-9.
- Burke JD, Rowe R, Boylan K. Functional outcomes of child and adolescent oppositional defiant disorder symptoms in young adult men. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry; 2014;55 :264-72.
- Boylan K, Macpherson HA, Fristad MA. Examination of disruptive behavior outcomes and moderation in a randomized psychotherapy trial for mood disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry; 2013, 52:699-708.
For further publications click here.
- Validity of clinical subtyping
- Longitudinal course of psychopathology and comorbidity
- Treatment of persistent depression in adolescents
- Impact of clinical environment on patients in crisis
Education, Memberships & Certifications
- MD, Dalhousie University
- PhD, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University